Sunday, July 13, 2014

1 Month Old Sisters

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would post an update about my new sisters. The latest pictures are from when they are a month old, they are more like 6 weeks old right now. We will have to take updated pictures and maybe even a video!

Well, they graduated out of their box, and now they live in birdcages. I will do another post on that. First their names were April, May, & June. Then we got additional input from friends, and they are called April, Apple, & Amelia, and the months are now their middle names.

Introducing...

Baby April

Now April has these cool leopard spots

April now in an awkward stage.
April: April is an "Easter Egger" type of chicken, or what I'd call a chicken mutt. They don't have a specific breed. But they are popular because of the color eggs they lay; we were told that April could lay blue, green, or rose colored eggs! We will have to find out in about 6 months. April is definitely an alpha kind of gal. She likes to be boss. She is pretty wild and adventurous. As she gets older though, she starts to get a little flighty, and not as relaxed as the other two.

Baby Apple doing what we call "chicken yoga"

Close-up of Apple and her new comb coming in. 

Apple is in front and Amelia is behind her. They are the same type/breed of chicken.
Apple June: She goes by "Apple." She is the largest of the bunch! At first she was a little flighty and not as trusting and easy to handle. But as time has gone by, she is growing up to be more and more calm, which we like a lot. She is a nice gal. She is a "Welsummers" breed of chicken, and will grow up to be a lovely brown chicken. A fun fact: Cornelius, the chicken on the box of Kellogg's Cornflakes, is a handsome Welsummers rooster. Welsummers hens lay dark chocolate brown eggs. However, sometimes they turn out lighter, so we will see. Also, sometimes the eggs are speckled! I sure hope so!

Baby Amelia and me

Amelia on the person's hand

Front view of Amelia
Amelia May: Amelia is the runt of the group, the smallest from day one. However, she has been catching up in size to the other two, which is good. She is also a Welsummers chicken and should also lay a dark brown egg. My Auntie M handled her a lot when she was a baby, so she has always been the calmest and friendliest and seems to like interactions with humans the most. She is very cute. I let her stand on me sometimes.

Chickens continue to be amooousing. However, as they have grown up, they are getting flappier and that scares me a bit sometimes. I don't know what I think sometimes. Sometimes I retreat to the back of the house when they are being too obnoxious and flappy.

Well, that is the update here. I am training for my Agility Trial this weekend, and will let you know how that goes!

Cheers,
Worm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Worm!

    I think your sisters are SO cute!! The momma can't wait until you know what color eggs they are going to lay!!

    I wish you much luck on your agility trial this weekend!! I sure miss running with you on the beach!! Maybe when the weather gets warmer we can go back?!?!

    Oh, the momma also wants to know if your agility teacher would like to put on a demonstration at the Niles Dog Show on 7/18/15? The momma is in charge this year and she thought it would be a hoot if people could see bassets doing agility!! Let her know - k?!?

    Love and miss you LOTS!! ~Sasha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Sasha! it has been way too long. I wanna run at the beeeach w/you too! hey congrats on your person being in charge of the Niles Dog Show, that is kewl! yes I can ask my agility teacher 'bout it and let you know!

    ReplyDelete